Sunday, June 19, 2011

Clarence Clemons of the E Street Band passes at 69

Who can mistake that soulful wail, sometimes mournful and haunting, sometimes causing you to rise up in exaltation.

Clarence Clemons, a stalwart figure in Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band from the beginning, passed away at 69. I was fortunate to come of age during the time of the E Street and often think back to the time when I first heard Springsteen. It was completely different from anything that I had ever heard on the old Athens station, Q 105 (damn, I'm old) because it wasn't simply blaring guitars and disco. With the E-Street Band you could hear every member and visualize what they were playing and it was one of those moments when I thought to myself, "That's what I want to do." Spin Records in 5 Points received a worn out copy of "Darkness at the Edge of Town" from me when I was 12-years-old. I remember telling the guy working the counter, "I'm not sure how it got worn out so quickly."


Springsteen is the master of weaving his lyrics around a composition and E Street was his instrument. You can hear and see why this band has been together for so long because every time that they perform they are laying every bit of their heart and just pure life into the music. The electrifying energy, sweat, driving heartbeat and soul is what makes a musician and a band. "The Big Man" was such an integral part of that sound and energy.

Be at peace, Clarence Clemons.

No comments:

Post a Comment